- 1 Creating a new Host Template
- 1.1 New Host Template Assistant - step 1/7
- 1.2 New Host Template Assistant - step 2/7
- 1.3 New Host Template Assistant - step 3/7
- 1.4 New Host Template Assistant - step 4/7
- 1.5 New Host Template Assistant - step 5/7
- 1.6 New Host Template Assistant - step 6/7
- 1.7 New Host Template Assistant - step 7/7
- 2 Enabling (Activating) a Host Template
This article addresses users of HQ-Systems with a Multi Source ReportBase as well as users of ReportBase as a PlugIn for ARANSEC or CustoSec (Single Source). The Logic and the way to set up a Host Template is basically the same. Host Templates contain the definitions to create charts based on the results of host checks out of ARANSEC/CustoSec.
Please Note: New Templates can only be created by users with a "User" or "Report" Role. "Managers" can not create templates.
Creating a new Host Template
The creation of Host-Templates requires a 2 step process.
- Creating the Template: Creating the template with the "New Host Template Assistant"
- Enabling (Activating) a Template: Activation of the template.
The Host assistant is started via the Main menu ("Templates" => "New" => "Host"). This process consists of 7 steps.
New Host Template Assistant - step 1/7
In multi source systems the source must be selected using the drop down menu. In a single source system the source is fixed and cannot be changed.
New Host Template Assistant - step 2/7
The template can be created for a "Single Host" or for "Multiple Hosts". A "Single Host" template creates a chart based on the results of the checks for one single host (i.e. one Pie Chart for this host). A "Multiple Hosts" template creates a chart based on the results of the checks from multiple hosts (i.e. a Pie Chart for each hosts).
- Single Host template: Choose only one host from the list of available hosts.
- Multiple Host template: Choose more than one host from the list of available hosts.
The list of available hosts will be filled based on the host group that is chosen. These are the host groups as they are configured in ARANSEC / CustoSec. At the bottom of the host group drop down list there is an additional host group called "Custom Host Selection" which provides a complete list of all hosts of the source.
Hosts can be moved from the list of "Available Hosts" to the "Selected Hosts" list using the arrows. Multiple selections (Ctrl- or Shift-Key) are allowed.
The Filter restricts the available hosts in a group by using the date of the last time a host entry was made in ReportBase. Find out more on Template Filters.
New Host Template Assistant - step 3/7
A name to identify the report. A meaningful name is recommended and can contain a maximum of 30 characters. Allowed characters are a-z, A-Z, ä, ö, ü, ß, Ä, Ö, Ü, 0-9 and space.
New Host Template Assistant - step 4/7
The period for which the report should gather data. ReportBase provides several predefined intervals as well as a user defined interval.
- Current State: Only the current state of the host(s) is displayed in the chart
- Current Day: The current day from Midnight till now
- Last 24 Hours: Last 24 hours from now
- Current Week: The current week from the week begin, as defined in the System Properties, until now. (See below - Overrule Default Week begin)
- Current Month: The current month, from the 1st of the month until now
- Current Year: The current year from the 1st of January until now
- Other: This is a user defined interval and can be in hours, days, weeks and months
Besides that the following additional settings can be made:
- Overrule Default Week Begin: This is ignored when "Current State" has been selected. Depending on the settings in the system properties the default for the begin of a week is Sunday (Anglo Saxon and US Calendars) or Monday (European Calendars). This can be overruled for this particular template by activating this option. In this case there will be a step 4a to set the Week Begin for this report.
- Base Report on last Data Collection: This is ignored when "Current State" has been selected. This setting is the default setting. The time interval is calculated with "now" taken from the last database entry (last data collection). I.e. a host that is deleted in ARANSEC/CustoSec will not send any check information any more. The chart that is made to show its status would therefore "freeze" with this setting.
- Base Report on System Time: This is ignored when "Current State" has been selected. The time interval is calculated with "now" taken from the system time. In the above example this means, the chart for a deleted host would run out and instead of a chart an empty image will be shown with the remark "no data".
New Host Template Assistant - step 5/7
The location in this dialogue cannot be changed.
- Format: The format for the export data based on this template can be configured here. Data can be exported in "CSV", "XML" - Format or as a plain text file.
- Export Data: Activate or deactivate data export.
New Host Template Assistant - step 6/7
This step collects the settings for the chart. The following settings are available:
- Display Image: Depending on the template (single Host, Multiple Host, Services) different chart types are offered to select from (I.e. for Host Templates Pie or Ring Charts are offered)
- Image Format: The image will be produced as a "png" or "jpg" -file.
- Image Size: The image size (width/height) in pixels.
New Host Template Assistant - step 7/7
By activating "Revolving Reports" this chart (and data export) will be automatically refreshed. If this option is not activated, the report will only be produced on "manual" request.
- Refresh: The Refresh time in seconds. The default refresh time is defined by the Source. See "Modify a source" - "Revolving Reports". The refresh time cannot be decreased below the default setting.
- Remarks: Additional description of the template can be added here and is displayed on all lists.
The "Save"-Button saves the template and exits the assistant. The new template will be listed in the "Revolving Reports"-List if it was defined as a revolving report. The template has been created, but it is not yet activated! If it was not defined as a revolving report, the template will be listed in the "Manual Reports"-List.
Enabling (Activating) a Host Template
A Host Template can be activated / enabled in two different ways:
- By using the Main Menu => "Templates" => "Modify" => "Report properties". This will open a search screen for templates. After selecting the template to be activated, the "Modify" - Dialogue for the report will open. In the top right corner the tick-box "Enabled" needs to be activated to enable the template.
- By right clicking or double clicking on the template in the list and choosing "Activate/Deactivate" in the context menu.
Once a template is activated the red cross will change to a green OK in the Template List in the Main Panel.